6 Mistakes to Avoid When Traveling in China
Learning from other people’s mistakes is great – you can avoid doing some really stupid things.
All men make mistakes, but only wise men learn from their mistakes. – Winston Churchill
If you follow the advice below, you might have a better travel experience in China. Just remember that none of it is written in stone.
On China Tours and Tour Guides
1. Avoid the ‘tour guides’ at bus and train stops offering to take you on a tour or to a hotel – you may get ripped off and end up with an entirely unsatisfactory experience.
2. Don’t go on packaged tours – they usually aren’t much fun (but there are exceptions). If you buy a ‘packaged’ tour, go for a è‡ªç”±è¡Œ – it may be a little harder to find your way, but it will be much more fun, you will have much more time to do what you want, and you won’t be herded through ‘factories’ and friendship stores with sky high prices.
On Directions and Taxi Drivers in China
3. Don’t follow directions from someone who hesitates before giving you directions. They probably don’t know the way.
4. Don’t go with a cabbie who doesn’t know the way – you may well end up in the wrong place with a lighter wallet.
On When to Travel in China
6. Do not get on a long distance train during the two days leading up to Chinese New Year’s (unless you have a sleeper ticket) – You may have an unforgettable experience.
Do You Have Any Advice on Mistakes to Avoid When Traveling in China?
You can help others avoid mistakes while traveling in China by leaving your thoughts below.
(Looking for more China Travel Secrets?)