Does China Bring Out Your Inner Entrepreneur?
There is something different in the air in China, and I’m not talking about particulate matter.
It’s something else.
Something that ignites a fire under the ass of your inner entrepreneur.Â And it doesn’t blow out.
China Manufacturers Entrepreneurs*
Virtually ever person that I know who has spent a significant amount of time in China and who didn’t have a high paying job upon landing here has turned into an entrepreneur.Â Have you noticed the same?
Exporters and … ?
The number one and most lucrative choice seems to be exporting of all shapes and sizes, but I also have friends who:
- Started an advertising company
- Took photography from a hobby to a part time income
- Established e-commerce stores
- Manufactured their own branded goods
- Developed online courses
There are also some well known examples from the China expat blogosphere:
- John at Sinosplice has been working for Praxis since the early days of Chinesepod.com
- Ryan at Thehumanaught.com started Daobydesign.com
So What Is It?
What do you think causes China to give birth to so many entrepreneurs?
I think it’s something in the air – something that infects Chinese people and foreigners.Â Something called freedom, at least in the cash money sense.Â Capitalism at its messiest and finest, except for some very serious political freedom & lack of basic legal protection issues, is driving China’s growth.
* Let’s broaden the definition of entrepreneur to include people working in startups and doing significant amounts of freelance work